Sunday, May 14, 2006

7:28 am

Sleepliving

Just finished the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. For those of you who have no idea what I'm blabbing about, its a book. Well, 3 books, actually. Interesting storyline. Very poignant, bittersweet. Definitely not your average hack-slash-and-toss-fireball fantasy story. No skilled hero(ine) excelling at his field above those with decades more experience. Just a lot of character development and angst, if you go for that kind of thing.

This is kinda sad, I've been reduced to writing book reviews to have something to post in my blog... Oh well, hopefully I'll get my mind functional and considering the world again soon. Okay, that last line doesn't read very well. Let me see if I can explain it a little.

I sorta live life in two modes. One as a sleepwalker (sleepliving?), and another awake and wondering at the world around me. When sleepliving, my mind basically doesn't operate on anything beyond the most basic tasks. Curiosity is nonexistent. Eat, sleep, play games, read novels, study (sometimes... oh do stop sniggering, you...). This phase, which I'm currently in, is when my blogs usually dry up and die. Notice the lack of posts recently?

And then, there's the awake mode. Which is usually when my environment has just changed, and my mind is curious, and, given something unusual to consider, will mentally jump from that something to something else, and something else, and so on till I have enough material for several blogposts at once. This is the first time I'm actually maintaining a blog and coming up with a few interesting posts while in my dead-to-the-world mode.

And no, I don't have any idea why I switch between these two mindsets, nor do I have any idea how. I wish I did, life is definitely more interesting in the awake mode. On the other hand, I do wonder if the average stereotype of the burned-out frazzled office worker isn't what I just described. If so, I had best find out what triggers me soon. I have no wish to sleepwalk through the rest of my life.

I really should clean up this post a little, but it's 8am in the morning and I have yet to grab any shuteye. Despite my opinion of sleepwalking, it's time to grab some zzz's.

ps - I sincerely apologize to any sleepwalkers I may have inadvertently offended. Go back to sleep.
 


 
Comments: Post a Comment