Thursday, January 26, 2006

4:17 am

A Gamble

I was in my garden this afternoon (well, technically, yesterday afternoon) when this middle-aged Indian guy came up to the gate and asked for somebody named Ms. Lim (or something like that). Dressed quite nicely, in long pants and shirt. Had a nametag of 'Sara'. Claimed to be working at Citybank. Gave me a sob story about him losing his wallet, IC, blah blah. Asked me for RM7.50 to get on a bus back to his family in.. Julu, was it? Anyway, felt sorry for him, handed him 10 bucks. He promised to return the money to me. Unlikely that he was telling the truth, but I imagined myself in the same position and...

So... conman, or down-on-his-luck person? Time will tell. I know, chances are my 10 bucks are gone, but I hope that, against the odds, he turns out to be sincere. Let me discover that my faith in basic human decency was not misplaced. I'm too young to become a cynic just yet.

Update: 27/1/06

Conman, apparently. There goes 10 bucks. More importantly, there goes part of my faith. Sigh.
 


 
Comments:

Before I made my final trip back home from HELP, the female obese guard asked me for money, she had forgotten her wallet, she pleaded, she's return my bucks via post. Well, I never saw my ten bucks again. I try not to think anything bad about her, concoling myself that I had believed and was convinced I was doing a good deed. What comes around, goes around. being obese is already bad, not returning one's hard earned money...no good is gonna come out of this (hey i am being human, can't help it, curses!)
 
*she'll
 
*consoling
 
Lol Jul, you could have just canceled and reposted. This is weird... we all rugi 10 bucks each recently? (Mine is gone, the guy never showed up as promised)
 
Post a Comment