Thursday, January 19, 2006

7:04 pm

Eat to Live/Live to Eat

I've been writing about my diet recently[1][2][3]. It just struck me that a year ago, I was blogging about the differences between the 'Eat to Live' and 'Live to Eat' philosophies. At that time I was heartily supporting the 'Live to Eat' camp. And now I'm dieting. Isn't that a major contradiction? Perhaps not. After all, my diet really consists of nothing more than skipping lunch every day. I still happily stuff myself with junk food as dessert after dinner. And I still eat food that's just dripping with fat, oil and the promise of a heart attack at the age of 30. I guess I'm still firmly within the 'Live to Eat' camp.

I'm finding out that a diet is not an easy thing to maintain. Going out during lunchtime with co-workers and ordering nothing but a drink earns you funny looks at first. That's simple enough to deal with. What isn't so simple to deal with is when you have to sit there and look at everybody else eating while your tummy growls. Life gets even more difficult when a well-meaning mum tries to sabotage my diet by cooking lunch for me despite my requests for her not to. She goes "Aiya, eat less for dinner la." Sigh. It's amazing I've lost any weight.

While I'm writing about food, I might as well mention a friend of mine. He got annoyed because, at a table with 8 of us, he noticed that there were 3 of us without acne/pimples. What did we have in common? A no-vegetable diet. LOL. So much for our parents' admonitions for us to eat more veggies or risk having our faces break out into something resembling measles. Perhaps somebody should conduct research into this. Imagine face-care products containing loads of animal oils. Then again, I can imagine the animal-rights activists burning my house down. Maybe I should reconsider...
 


 
Comments: Post a Comment