Monday, January 02, 2006

3:13 am

Christians and Low Lifes

Happy New Year to all of you, and Merry Xmas too, for the Christians. Just to clarify, despite whatever impression my article title may give you, I'm in no way linking any Christians (or any religion, for that matter) to low lifes (aka bastards, m-f**kers, a**holes, and several other not-so-complimentary names). Just a shyster trick to grab your attention and hold it for a little while. =D

Anyway, regarding Christians, one of my readers got the mistaken impression that I hold a grudge against Christians. Let me make my position clear. I respect all religions. I respect your right to believe in a one, true god and no other false deity. I respect your right to believe that I am sorely mistaken and will go to hell for my sins. I respect you and your opinions. What I do not respect, and will not condone, is when you lose respect for MY beliefs and opinions. When somebody tells me that I'm going to hell, I get really, really annoyed. Who wouldn't? Please people, the time of priests and missionaries preaching fire-and-brimstone from a towering pulpit to a cowering congregation is over. If you truly believe, and wish to save people, discuss it with them. Let me make my point. In all my years experiencing attempted conversions, the person who has actually gotten me thinking most about Christianity and their beliefs, in a non-hostile manner, is also the one person who talked to me about religion without actually trying to convert me. He talked about why he converted, and dispelled several myths, while making other things clear. What a change from the tired old stuff about going to hell.

And regarding low lifes... just how low can some people stoop? At the New Years party I was attending, we were visited by some friends of the host. When they left, we found out a little later that all the alcohol had too. Expensive stuff, Chivas and Johnny Walker. Not mine, but the incident was indeed a mood-breaker. Sigh. Accident? Doubtful, because when we tried contacting them, all their handphones were unavailable for some weird reason. Or perhaps the handphone companies were merely off on holiday...
 


 
Comments: Post a Comment